Light and Momentary

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

I'm in a place (mentally) that I tend to "lose heart" at least twice a day. Once in the morning when I realize all I ought to do, and once around dinner prep when the kids need to do something besides being in my space while I work. My life is a bit overwhelming at times, and I am sure that you experience this too. From the a single person faced with long office hours, biological deadlines, and aging parents; or a stay-at-home-mom with kids to run to baseball games and another job interview to dress up for; life can be overwhelming. And when you try to balance in relationships with God, children, spouses, friends... forget-about-it! Nearly impossible in our own strength.

Paul says that the troubles we face are "light and momentary" compared to the "glory that far outweighs them all." My word of encouragement: the glory that we will experience in heaven will be even more wonderful and amazing if we finish our Christian walk strong.

Confession: I had a difficult two weeks getting in any quiet time with God, it seems to be more of a struggle everyday even though I am walking in obedience to God's call. Could be because I am not prioritizing the way I should. My relationship with God has to be more important than any of this temporary stuff I see around me; the clutter, the baby coming soon, our homeschool, the work deadlines. Do what I did this morning: glance around the room you're in and label everything as "Seen" or "Unseen." People's bodies, the pictures on the wall, the technology at your hands, the dishes in the sink, the pile of clothes to put away... all seen with our eyes, yet the Bible states (more than once) that what we see is not going to last. What is unseen? Relationships, souls, possibly experiences- all unseen and going to be around forever.

How can we invest our time focusing on the unseen and not on the "light and momentary troubles" we will find ourselves in (often daily)? Dear Readers, put Christ first. Ask Him to guide you with the Holy Spirit to do what needs to be done with the emphasis on making the best life here in the "seen" as an investment in the "unseen."

Comments

Popular Posts