Maundy Thursday

"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." John 13:14-17

Tonight is our Foot Washing Service. It has been the most uncomfortable Church of God (out of Anderson, IN) practice since I've been involved with this church movement. But as Christ washed his disciples feet as an example of servant's heart and what the disciples' ministry should look like, so I go and learn to be cheerful as I serve and am served by this simple (yet humbling) act.

In one church that my husband and I served in, the heart's of the people were selfish, so this was one service I did my best to avoid- and quite successfully most years.

The church body we serve today is one that is also servant-minded and loving- so the Foot Washing Service is not as uncomfortable as it could be. It is still humbling, absolutely, but as my sister's serve me as Christ served his disciples, I feel loved and forgiven. It really can be a beautiful thing.

Comments

Popular Posts