Scheduled for God

With the changing of seasons I always get excited about all the new things coming up. Not only do the leaves change color as the trees prepare for winter, but we start thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas. The problem with this time of year is with all the seasonal things to do creates a lot busy-ness to our schedules and we may find ourselves not living with balance, just living to make it through until spring.

When it comes to ordering our lives, living with balance and purpose- we may forget that God is the God of order- He is able to bring chaos into line.

In the creation story of Genesis the Bible says that the earth was formless and void, doing it’s own thing; having no purpose. But all God had to do was say “Let there be...” and the light and darkness, heavens and earth, and land and sea all snapped into place. Chaos brought to order.

As our lives become filled with the extra activities of the season we forget that we don’t have to bring order to our lives, we can ask the God of peace to do it for us. God is a loving father who longs to come beside us and bring order out of our crazy schedules. Matthew 7:7-11 says, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

Women today are tough, strong and independent. Our society began culturing women of independence (pull yourselves up by the bootstraps philosophy) seventy years ago when the men left to fight in WWII leaving the job force in desperate need of workers. It’s good that we work and show ourselves faithful to the task at hand, but we are not supposed to do it alone. We still need to be in submission to the balance of Christ.

Last month I started watching 2 little girls, they were dropped off at 8 am and picked up at 6. It became tough at times, and was wearying to me, but I had God’s word on two things that kept me balanced. 1: God would supply for all my needs according to His glorious riches. I would not have to worry about the tough stuff, that God would meet my needs of time with my own children, time with my husband, and time to clean the house. 2: My time to bless the two little girls was limited; I would not have them forever. Children grow up, family circumstances change and I need to enjoy the busy while I had it. God allowed me time every morning to get His perspective on the day so I wouldn’t worry about what I couldn’t do, only that I ought to focus on the most important things.

Long story short, 3 weeks into this experience, my friend found a nanny and so I only have the girls for shorter times, twice a week. Because I had a good perspective on it, even though I complained some during the experience, we were able to drop to the shorter amounts of time without the guilt that I’d missed an opportunity.

We will receive what we need when we ask God. We must remember to do it before we get desperate, though. Every day needs to be a day dedicated to Him, and scheduled around what God wants for us then we will encounter the balance in the midst of changing seasons and busy schedules.

Comments

Popular Posts