Booked Out


It's been a good summer for me, got to read a lot of books- I am a book worm like my daughter (or she like me?). Anyway, as I am going to be starting back to working from home when the kids go to school next week, I'll have to remember all the good things I've learned and experienced as my leisure time will be brief. Here's my list:

An Emerald Ballad" by B.J. Hoff. A book series I owned but haven't read in 8 years. It begins during the Potato Famine in Ireland in the 1840's, and follows the lives of three friends. I could tell the author wrote it while bathed in prayer, since as I read I'm reminded of people and stop to pray for them.

And speaking of prayer, "The Power of a Praying Church" by Stormie Omartian has been amazing. Read it! Read any of her books and then do it. God can work through imperfect people when they pray.

"The Firstborn Advantage" by Dr. Kevin Leman was good. Not great, but certainly educational. I did love this book by him, but it's only for married people (or those about to be married): "Sheet Music." You will not be disappointed *wink*.

For a good laugh (even though I've read it before) you gotta read "A Comedian's Guide to Theology" by Thor Ramsey. His point of view is surprisingly intelligent and hilarious. I sometimes wish I could just read bits of it out loud to people just to hear them giggle.

Okay, last two are fiction and re-reads: "Hadassah, One Night with the King" by Tommy Tenney, the story of Esther with historical information hid cleverly inside the Biblical account (now a major motion picture). And "A Bride Most Begrudging" by Deeanne Gist. It's about a young woman kidnapped from her home in England and taken to a new colony in Virginia to be a "tobacco bride." Also historical fiction. In retrospect, I do love me a good historical fiction.

What have you read and recommend? Besides the idea that a Kindle is perfect for my birthday next week (hint, hint).

Comments

Popular Posts