Prepared

"O Sovereign Lord," I said, "I can't speak for you! I'm too young!"

The Lord replied, "Don't say, 'I'm too young,' for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don't be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!"
~Jeremiah 1:6-8 (NLT)

Not always do we read about the hesitation in Jeremiah when God first calls him. We remember the story of the bold and effective Jeremiah who spoke God's words to His people. Such things as "For I know the plans I have for you... (29:11)" and "I have had to punish you because your sins are many and your guilt is great.(30:15)"

God soothed Jeremiah's fears in the beginning and told him all that he needed for the huge responsibility facing him. The excuses that Jeremiah didn't say, God calmed.

What excuses do you have for God when He calls you to a seemingly daunting task? I'm too old, unprepared, disabled, the wrong body type? There will always be an excuse for not doing something that is "scary" or not "normal" in the eyes of the world. Like a young Jeremiah asked to prophesy to the nation of Israel, or an senior woman seeing a need in children's music ministry and jumping in (she attends our church), or a husband deciding that it would be a blessing to have more children despite the world's perspective on what is enough (my father).

If God has spoken to your heart about a need, ministry, or life decision that will come to pass soon, get prepared. Prepare by reading His Word and spending time in God's presence, for God will act when it's time and we need to be ready. God gave Jeremiah promises and instructions that we can hold onto, first during our season of preparation and then, through the season of fulfillment.

...I am watching, and I will certainly carry out all my plans (1:12)

...Do not be afraid of them... (1:17b)

They will fight you, but they will fail. For I am with you, and will take care of you. I, the Lord, have spoken. (1:19)

Comments

Popular Posts