Lord of the Dance

What holds us back from living our dreams? Maybe you already do and are experiencing a life of joy and fulfillment. For others of you there are hindrances and setbacks that keep you frustratingly at arms length from your heart's passion. And some are slowly working their way toward it.

Why aren't our dreams/plans/hopes not realized? Perhaps it's because our dreams aren't in God's plan. Or perhaps we aren't willing to put in the work or make the sacrifices required. Or maybe, just maybe we are scared. There is a fear to step into the "unknown," but the reward could be beyond our imagination.

I stumbled across a woman's blog that really made me pause and think*. She is in a wheelchair and takes dance lessons. She kept talking about falling and getting back up as she learned the mechanics of leaning back in the chair and maintaining her balance. Amazed at the thought of dancing without the use of your legs, I looked it up on youtube.com and found a whole world of competitive ballroom dancing, hip hop dancing, and Christian dance ministries (just to name a few) with people in wheelchairs. And they were good, not just hobbyists.


That is what brought up the question that I opened this blog with: What is keeping us from living our dreams? If God has placed it on your heart, then swallow fear, step out in faith and make it happen.

In Phillipians 2:12-18, Paul says something a more "eternity-focused" than "me-centered" when he is encouraging those Christians who were given a task, a dream for what God had for them. And when we live this way, God is glorified:

Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people.

Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless. But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy. Yes, you should rejoice, and I will share your joy.


And I, too, will share your joy when you take those steps to live out God's plans for your life.


*I won't link it, because of moral differences, but you could find it "Wheelchair Dancer."

Comments

HennHouse said…
What a fabulous post! Isaac and Esther-Faith watch those videos on youtube and then try out the moves at home... Fun (and kinda scary) to watch!

Popular Posts