Fortified

"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:7-8 (NIV)

This was my scripture I studied this morning. And oh, how God reinforced it today.

I am dog-sitting my brother-in-laws two chihuahuas, both sweet girls but one (Lucy) is quite nervous around loud sounds and sudden movements. We had a few firework "poppers" for the kids and "Someone" threw it near me, scaring me to death, and poor Lucy. When I ran inside the two dogs followed me in, but not seeing Lucy after I forgave that certain "Someone," I thought the worst that she was still outside.

Thirty minutes calling for Lucy and searching the whole house, there was no sign of her. Husband David and I were sick that she has vanished, and being scared, won't come back to the house. This is when my scripture came to mind. Especially the last part that says God will answer a request in Jesus' name, if I remain in Him. So I knelt in the yard, prayed this scripture and felt the worry rise off of me and the praise begin.

Of course, I had no idea how God would answer because I have also been studying the idea of failure as a stepping stone forward. Our brains become smarter when we fail at something. But I did not want to fail at the cost of a poor little doggie and her owner, but whatever the outcome, I knew God would use it for His glory.

I got my jogging shoes on to begin a new search further away from familiar territory when my daughter interrupted me, whining about not being able to find something in her room. Slightly annoyed I go into her room and a very scared Lucy creeps from under her dresser! To God be the glory!!

David and I still haven't quite recovered from the shock of the "What if's?" But this failure has been good for me to see the great importance of getting your daily dose of God's Word. And not just skimming, but really letting it soak in (although the application of it may not be so immediate for you like this experience was for me) in order for you to be fortified for the trial when it comes.

Comments

Popular Posts