Patience

Colossians 3:12 "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

As God's chosen people, we still have a difficult time keeping these instructions. Clothing ourselves with the character of Christ is a formidable task. However, in one area, patience, I am experiencing the fruit of God's labor over me.

I am waiting to see my oldest child in heaven, for my dad to be healed fully (although he is making significant improvements every week), for an unbelieving friend to take a step of faith, and I am waiting to see what God wants with me for the next couple years.

Being patient has not been an easy character trait for me and for many of you, too, (I'm sure). It's always going to be a long road to learning things that don't come naturally to us. But what I have learned most about it, is that a lot of being patient is trust related. Trust that God knows what He's doing. That He is in control. That all things really will work together for good for those who trust Him, who are called according to His good purpose.

According to the Word of God, we have a high calling. When we step into the role of Christian, there is a lot that is asked of us. We are told to step fully out of our old selves and into the covering that God provides. He has made it possible to live in kindness, with compassion for others, with gentleness, always considering others better than ourselves, and having patience. We cannot do this on our own. We are not naturally prone to being all of these things. It is an impossible task, without the Holy Spirit.

And that is the secret: God has given us his Holy Spirit. We are not called to do anything on our own. We are not called to be perfect by ourselves. We are to trust and persevere.

Comments

GiBee said…
Speaking of patience -- I was teaching one Wed night, and M was angry over something L had done to him. He was unhappy and had pushed her. That set her off, and on and on it escalated.

So I brought him close to me and whispered, "M, you know, some of the gifts of the Holy Spirit are Patience, Self Control, Kindness..." And would you know, he finished my sentence with "Joy, Peace, Love. I know."

I just looked at him, laughed, and told him I loved him. He said, "I love you too. You're my teacher, and I love you."

Cracked me UP! And melted my heart! All in one minute!

He is very bright, Rita!
Anonymous said…
Amen! Beautiful and powerful post!

God bless and keep you!

Much love to you!

Popular Posts