Your Thoughts

Having a healthy thought life is just as important as being physically healthy. I've been reading a book, "Good to Great in God's Eyes" by Chip Ingram and taking control of your thoughts is the topic of the first chapter. Another excellent book is by Joyce Meyer, "Battlefield of the Mind." Both of these references will help get you started on the road to a healthy thought life, but unless you do it, all the self-help books in the world won't help.

This morning I had the opportunity to practice what they teach. I got on the scale and realized that my three and one-half pound loss two weeks ago was gone, and I was back to my original, post-holiday weight. This may not seem like a big deal, but my husband has made a tool to track our loss (he's getting healthy, too) and I had to move the thermometer-like chart back to the start.

Of course, I got the hints of depression, it actually started making my whole day wrong, then I realized what I was doing. I began to say, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," and "all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to his purpose." Over and over I said these words, and in about 5 minutes (Chip's recommended dosage of healthy thoughts per day) my mood shifted slightly and began to improve.

And, like the advice I gave my five-year-old for his new basketball hoop, "practice and you'll get better at it," I need to practice healthy thoughts.

How about you? Did you realize that what you think is a good indication of you who'll become? Please try it, practice God-thoughts instead of your thoughts and see the improvement of your attitude and outlook.

Comments

Popular Posts