MLK, Jr.

I spent a few moments yesterday with my daughter explaining why we celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. and remembered again why there is a national holiday just for him. Dr. King's name has become an icon for civil rights, but his story is one that belongs to everyone and when I recount why Dr. King spoke out for unity and equality I pray that I, too, can speak when God asks me to.

I am impressed that this family man put all on the line for what was right. Dr. King valued truth and others above himself. He wanted a better future for his children, his country and other people of color. Can we continue to work on his dream and make it our own? Not sure how we can do this except by following God's Word:

"'If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. . . Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!" James 2: 8, 12-13

and don't forget:

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:18

Comments

Popular Posts